http://robert.arles.us Migrated to Pelican Static Site Generator

Yesterday I updated robert.arles.us from wordpress to Pelican static site generation. I made the change partly as a learning process and partly to move away from an unnecessarily heavy CMS hosting app. Was it a surprise to me that the migration made my site fast? No. Was it a surprise how much faster? Oh, yes. This screenshot of the chart that PageLoadStats created for me shows the performance stats in Milliseconds. Besides the performance boost, I’ve gotten a chance to work with .htaccess rewrites and redirection, rsync for publishing, dealing a bit with Jinja templates, and I still need to finish up adapting the current them to handle small screens well.

Converting Gatherer to Micro-Services

I’m currently creating a version of Gatherer, the engine behind http://nerdlynews.32hours.com, in an uncoupled micro-service based design.  It’s going pretty smoothly, and the benefits of creating and internally consuming an API are pretty obvious. It’s interesting how fast development starts moving after getting some API functionality up and running. I’m starting work on the bit that will be choosing what is interesting, and I’m using the chance to expand the knowledge base and the way I use it to choose what’s interesting in the news. I have pretty high hopes already that the results are going to be noticeably better.

Robert (http://robert.arles.us)

SOFTWARE QA: JENKINS + JENKINS SLAVE NODES + SELENIUM 2 + BROWSERMOB PROXY

See the original posting on metarobert

I’ve just finished a new test setup that allows me to capture network traffic in a test suite that is launched by Jenkins onto a Selenium 2 Grid. It was as painful as it sounds, but just as satisfying to complete. One of the big hurdles was the need to run the tests via Jenkins and capture the network traffic generated by the test, which occurs on an unknown Selenium node.

If the test system we use were not distributed, this would have been relatively…

See the original posting on metarobert